Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's A Girl

"It's a girl" was exclaimed on March 18, 2004, and Mariah Grace entered the world.

"It's a girl" was again said on March 21, 2007, and Ambria Faith came quickly booming into the world.

"It's a girl" was once again shouted on June 19, 2010, as Ashlyn Hope miraculously joined us as a family.

(Well, we did not find out the gender of the first two during the pregnancy, we chose to find out during the third pregnancy the gender of our child....so, I guess "It's a Girl" was exclaimed actually four times if we want to get technical).

So, in come the loads and loads of pink and purple clothes. Pink blankets, pink bibs, pink everything. In come dozens of dolls, various hair do-dads, My Little Ponies, and even BARBIES!

Whoa! It took me a while to get used to, and even enjoy, all this feminine stuff in my own life, and now we have it times THREE. (Ok, ok, you can go on and on about gender roles and gender traditions, but I am not going to go there, my girls like pink more than blue and dolls more than GI Joe, although we do own 'such known boy toys' as cars and trains).

So, what does all this mean? Well, it means I have to learn how to put hair up, it means I have to play Barbies with my girls, it means I have to play 'beauty shop', it means the emotions are going to start flying---and FAST. It means we have four emotional females in the house. RUN!!

It didn't take me long for my motherly instincts to kick in, and having a girl was beyond joyous!

I am still amazed, humbled, blessed, and privileged to be the mother of three girls. I am so in love with my girls. I wouldn't have it any other way. At this point, I don't know anything about raising boys. I don't know how to relate to boys. I don't know how to play trucks with boys. I am grateful for Mariah, Ambria, and Ashlyn, and I am scared out of my mind to raise them. Parenting is beyond me. It is hard. This is where prayer comes in!!

No comments: