Sunday, October 2, 2011

Lessons in Losing

Mariah had her first cheer leading competition this past weekend, and unfortunately, her team did not place in the top 4.

Going into the competition, Mariah truly thought that her team could win the event. I love and admire her confidence! (By all means, they DID practice very hard, and the team put hours and hours into learning cheers). I told Mariah that it would be great if her team could win but I also gently warned Mariah that it is "ok" if her team doesn't get first place.


After the team realized they did not place, the emotions were running very high. Big tears streamed down Mariah's glittery face. She wasn't satisfied with a shiny trophy, a big medal, and a red rose...she wanted the glory!


Here comes mom to the rescue with a shoulder to cry on and I pull out of my pocket "the lessons in losing." This is one of the parts of parenting that isn't so glorious as you want your child to succeed in everything they do. And then yada, yada, yada, the old cliche of "having fun is the important thing," and "you did great," and other "lessons" that don't seem to have instant gratification and go in one ear and out the other. I heard all these cliches when I was a kid, and now I have the "honor" of passing them on.


Mariah's emotions subsided after a while and then she was very proud of her accomplishments...as was I.

No comments: